Thursday, October 15, 2015

Necessity of a Testimony

Hola All!

It was a great week! Teaching is coming along. I learned of the necessity of testimony, and of testimony invoking questions. How much cooler does it get than when you ask a question and the investigator's heart is not just opened, but magnified? The Spirit isn't just invited into the room, any testimony can do that; but into their heart, and only one testimony has that potential.

This week was pretty eventful. On Tuesday night I attended a devotional about the Sabbath Day. We learned about the Sabbath Day and the Sacrament. I was given the invaluable opportunity to reflect on my conversion to the Sacrament. The Apostles promised that as we learn to honor the sabbath THE WHOLE WORLD will have their faith increased. How cool is that?! I thinking about the Sabbath, I was reminded of two times that God's honoring of the Sabbath could be followed. The first is obviously the creation, where God created the world and then rested from worldly labors. The next thought was that the Millennium is a type of the Sabbath. What will we be doing in the Millennium? We will be trying to unify our eternal families and bring it all to God. We will be serving and learning, but the largest endeavor I know of is that of family. Maybe that's how we make the Sabbath a delight, we find ways to tie our family together.

A member of our District went home. That was unfortunate. However, Elder Scoubes is now my companion too. Elder Kelson, Elder Scoubes, and I are a trio: The Three Usketeers. That's not unfortunate at all. :)

We also learned about Missionary Work and focus. We are now working harder to accomplish our goals.

The Three Usketeers
Elder Scoubes, Elder Brown, Elder Kelson
Today, I went to the Mexico City temple and in the celestial room met an Elder Gould from somewhere in Toelle County. He did not know Uncle Ronnie. He was teary-eyed, and I grabbed him some tissues. After a bit of talking, I learned he had been out only a week and a day. I told him that one of my favorite parts about the Celestial room is that wherever you are, anywhere in the world, as long as you're in a Celestial Room, you're home. We talked a bit more, and I told him that yes, the Spanish is important, but what I think is most important is that he bear his testimony as often as he could. I felt the Spirit confirm my words and the Spirit of the Celestial Room became even more sweet. Please, bear your testimony as often as you can. Get creative with it. If I have learned anything from the teaching classes here, it is about testimonies and questions. Why? Agency. When you act to intentionally share parts of who you are, a testimony, it invites the Spirit into your life to change yours and increase their agency. When you ask questions of people, it invites them to use their increased agency and bear testimony themselves. In that way, we may teach diligently, and be edified together. I love the temple.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Elder Brown! Touching story about the elder in the temple. If he's from Tooele County, I wonder if we printed his mission announcement in the Transcript Bulletin...

    ReplyDelete