Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Gospel Shall Make You Full

We had two baptisms the previous week! I had exchanges with Elder S****, and that's the majority of the eventful things that happened.

What I was going to tell you all about last week is this guy named P****. He's been a member of the church about 13 years now, and he studies the scriptures a ton. I think he's studied them for an hour a day since he was baptized. However, he still doesn't know very much. Even though he may not be the brightest scriptural scholar, he's definitely the best-working one. He shared his not-so-large home with a not-so -nice man so that the choldren of the other man would have 1) a roof, and 2) a father, Him (P****). He's not married and he's about 70 years old. After the one family moved out, because the dad was given another house, the kids still spend a lot of time with P****. In fact, the last Sunday, the kids (12 at the oldest) walked a quarter-mile in the really wet rain and mud to meet P**** and walk another half mile in wetter rain and mud to go to church. That is the influence that P**** has on these kids. He actually makes frequent visits to the less-active members with these little kids, and the little kids share a message with them.

After the one family moved out, P**** was going to help another family. He was going to buy her house and then give it to her for free, just so that her ten kids could have a roof over their heads and the true gospel in their hearts, however, the Sunday that P**** was going to give her the offer at church was the sunday she stayed home, and sold her home, for less than half the price. God's blessings are waiting, and the miracles are often anxious at the end of our hope.

Baptisms
Now for the two baptisms. Their names are M*** and A****. They are real converts. Probably the first real converts that I've seen baptized, honestly. Their son (E***) got baptized in December in another ward and he asked us to talk to his family, who attended the baptism. We went and shared our message with them and they accepted the baptismal date (6th of February) without any questions. After that, they read almost everything we left with them. They had real problems in their family before we came, about which I learned only with the baptismal interviews, but with the Gospel, everything got better. I can't believe the changes that happened. However, their father is waiting to get baptized. Hopefully it comes quickly. After they got baptized, the stake president gave the welcoming talk, and Elder C*** (an area seventy) taught everyone about the baptismal covenant. After we left, I felt full. Their baptism was something particularly special, and I hope that I can have more experiences like that more frequently.

Now for what I wish I had known before my mission:

If I could tell you all the things I have learned, or all the things I am still learning, or even the things that may soften the intellectual impact of the transition, I would, but I'm rather at a loss. At the beginning, I thought I could remember all the changes, or at least the most challenging ones, and prepare my family and friends for it. Unfortunately, the mission has a knack for finding your weak links. The one thing that will change everything is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, or Lesson three of chapter three in preach my Gospel. If you can become converted to this process and NEVER FORGET IT in pride, fear, or laziness, things will always be hard, but at least they'll be full. There are always adjustments to be made, but if you can learn to care about the work, about the people, and about yourself, and then live the Gospel of Jesus Christ every day, things will work out. I realized the other day that if I repented yesterday, I need to repent of not doing it since, too.

Elder Brown

1 comment: