Tuesday, December 8, 2015

This Week Was Not the Prettiest...

Mexicans (at least in my Branch) can't carry a tune. Every time we sing, the melody sounds terrible. With everyone else so completely off, I can't stay on pitch either. What more, We sing every day for companionship study!! I'm looking forward to an american companion so we can hold a tune... However, as far as blessings go,I have been surprised to notice that I can play the piano better now than before, and I play the piano less. I can read music. I can play like normal as well. It's an unexpected, but by all means welcome, blessing.

I have given two blessings to people who are sick. If it wasn't intimidating before, well, the Spanish takes care of that. However, I gave a blessing to an investigator yesterday morning for her back, and her back is healing. That's always encouraging to see. :)

Honestly, this weekend has been a disaster. We had exchanges with the zone leaders on Friday. We taught one of our most interested investigators and she was mad about the temple. She said it was ludicrous that we spend so much money on a temple when there are so many people in poverty. It was horrible.

Next we were going to teach a new investigator, but I received a prompting to go to C****, the recent convert. While we walked, we were notified by the relief society president that his baby sister of less than a week had died. We went to try to help, but my companion didn't know anyone and I, who knew people, was assaulted with children. We were no help.

After that, we went to interview our baptism for the next day. She had separated from her cohabitee for a month, but had returned with him two days before. Not only that, but Elder R***and I had verified every day last week that they hadn't gotten back together. The baptism fell through.

When I returned with my companion, I heard as well that Elder R*** had lost his camera, with more than a years' worth of fotos. Honestly, I was overwhelmed with all that had happened, discouraged with my Spanish, and, well, overwhelmed. I haven't had much confidence in myself nor in what I have taught because I'm always worried that I'm forgetting something. Ironically, when I worry, I do forget.

Saturday was not much better. We walked all day and taught almost nothing. Sunday was a fail as well. The branch president was giving the temple dedication recommendation cards out like free samples. Signing them like blank checks. We have to go and recover at least one from the father of the deceased baby. That's not going to be fun.

After that we were called by the branch president and told that he was not available for lunch (the main course of the day, like your dinner). We didn't have any food or water in the house, not having been able to replenish it the day before, and so we had to go to the zone leaders and ask to join their lunch. During the meal, I only understood 80% of the conversation, and it seemed that most of the jokes were on me, particularly my Spanish. That didn't help me much either. We went to the christmas broadcast, and that wsa fun. The talks were translated into Spanish, but they didn't translate Silent Night, so we sang it in English, and boy was it fun hearing the Mexicans be confused for once. :) Elder Hurst, the zone leader, told me that my Spanish is better at one month than his was at four, and that when he had four months, he felt very proficient.

Then we taught C***, the younger sister of K***. She was crazy before. She was legend among the missionaries, because she could not be reverenced, but she was also interested. We taught her and she had received an answer about the church, and was very interested. Her two other brothers are interested as well. That was a real booster to my confidence. Also, I taught with greater confidence during the lesson and it was a spiritual lesson.

We're teaching the "husband" (nobody's married here) of a less active and he is really ready to baptize. His only obstacle is the LESS-ACTIVE “wife”.. :)

I'm really enjoying the christmas season this year. I was the one to suggest Christmas hymns. Also, Ive really developed a taste for what is called "nuez" here. I'm not sure what it's called where yáll are, but I'm sure I didn't like it. :)

Q & A from Mom to Elder Brown

Q: Tell me a little about your companion. What is he like? Do you get along well?

A: My companion is awesome. He played soccer before he came on the mission. Nobody plays soccer here (of the missionaries). He was really reckless before his mission. He stole his moms car one day and drove to St. George with his friends. Now, however, he's a great missionary. After he received his personal testimony, he became the ward mission leader and changed the dynamics of his ward. In the mission he is very good and serving well.

Steps Up The Mountain
Q: Please tell me more about your area. Why is it known as the runt of Tijuana?

A: Well the branch lacks a lot of leadership. It is made up of new converts, so no one really has much experience in the Church. There's no hot water, unlike most other areas. It's a mountain. I have pictures of a few trails. It's dirty. It ruins clothes. There isn't much progress because there isn't anyone to work with and the people with whom we can work don't know how to, but we can't really train them because that's not our responsibility. The stake doesn't help much either. We don't have a garbage service. We burn all our trash. It’s fun, but smelly for sure. Rotten milk is one thing, flaming rotten milk?! Also, when meals with members fall through we are on our own where in other areas the missionaries receive 200 pesos. :) But it's fun.

A Little Note from Brock's Mom

After reading this week's letter please say a prayer for Elder Brown and his companion, Elder Ruiz, that they may continue to be in tune with the Spirit as they help investigators and new members. Last week had it's challenges and it would be wonderful if we could all band together in prayer for Carlos and his family as they deal with the passing of Carlos's baby sister. Please also ask our Heavenly Falther to help Elder Brown and Elder Ruiz will know how best they can help.

1 comment:

  1. Remember, Elder Brown: This too shall pass. It's sooo hard when baptisms fall through, previously positive investigators turn sour, and good people who are just trying to do their best have awful trials. It's especially hard when you love those people so much. I can tell you love them, it showed in your letter this week. Just remember: God is in control. Things will work out. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete