Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Family is Central to Heavenly Father's Plan

Hola All!

What is there to write about? Well night one, I was teaching with Elder Ruiz and we invited Carlos, who had 16 years, to be baptized. He accepted, and then the next lesson he decided not to. However, he doesn't talk much so we couldn't figure out why...

Next we taught Lucero, someone who had committed to a baptismal date, and she decided she didn't want to be baptized either...

Every day we have enough appointments to fill the day, but when we follow up and knock on their doors, they're not there. We spend about half of the day contacting. The worst is when a night appointment falls through, because it's too late to knock doors, but its too early to be done...

The computer I'm using right now functions much better than the last one. We're at a nicer internet cafe, but I'm not sure if I can upload pictures from this computer unfortunately. I will see about a different computer next week.

We attended the branch in Tijuana yesterday. It was a testimony meeting, like in every other ward in the world, and I bore my testimony. There were about 20 people from the stake that attended sacrament meeting and then came with us to visit less-actives in our branch. It was really fun. Of four lessons, four lessons worked out. That doesn't generally happen for us. I think it was in large part due to the member involvement. I love it when the members do fulfill their part of the work of salvation, because it enables me to fulfill my part in it as well.

Tijuana LDS Temple
For a long time, I have known the importance of the atonement in my personal life, but not until the past week have I really begun to understand the centrality of the family to it all. Without the family, the church can't grow. Without the family, we can't grow. Without the family, the beautiful children of Heavenly Father can't receive bodies and learn to use them. The power of an entirely active family is something special in the church. Carla, a recent convert to the church, has taught a few lessons with us, but her family is not yet a member. Her baptism may be a powerful influence for their welfare, but her entire family needs to have the blessings of the gospel in their lives. I CAN'T WAIT for the dedication of the Tijuana Temple. Think about it. Most of the members of the church here haven't received their endowments. More, Most of them can't say that if their son were to die, they know they will see them again. When a temple is constructed in Utah, sure it's exciting, but imagine how many more of God's children in Tijuana will have all of the blessings of the Gospel in their home. Its a powerful thought. No wonder every time a temple is built the power of the adversary is lessened in the earth.

Funny story of the week: I cut jalapenós yesterday helping the branch president prepare dinner and I wiped my eye with my jalapenó juice-covered finger. Boy did it sting!! I washed my hands and then my eye. Eventually it stopped hurting. :)

Q and A from the Family: 

 Q: Have you taught any investigators? Tell us about them. 

A: Yes, I taught investigators. Most of the investigators are not progressing very well. It's rather unfortunate that they attend church every week, but they won't get baptized. There's been one baptism in the past 6 weeks, her name is Carla, and she's doing really well. We have taught lessons with her. 

Q: How many Book of Mormons have you given out this past week? 

A: We hand out temple invitations, not Book of Mormons, right now. However, with the new investigators, we have given about 4-5 Book of Mormons out. 

 Q: What does the interior of your apartment/house look like? 

A: The interior of my house is nice. I wish I could upload pictures, but unfortunately I can’t. 

 Q: How many bedrooms are in your home/apartment? 

A: There’s a bedroom, a study room, a kitchen, and two bathrooms in our casa. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, two bathrooms? You’re living in luxury. :) unfortunately, sometimes the citas just cae. But God puts everyone in your path for a reason, and He will guide you to the prepared ones.

    ReplyDelete