Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Countdown...

Oh, how the time flies. I like to pretend to myself that I'm not excited, but I am. I try not to pretend I'm scared, but I'm not. I tried so hard not to count down, I really did. Once September rolled around though, I couldn't help but keep track of them. It's like Christmas, but it's eighteen years in the making, and it only happens once. And unlike the gifts we receive then, I actually work toward these ones. I will never earn any of the gifts given (Mosiah 2:21), but I will work towards them, and I will hopefully be willing to receive them.

Life has been pushing me toward the mission. I quit my job and temple work. The missionaries stopped calling me for splits, those scums. Plans that I make keep falling through, unless they're aimed towards my mission.

I've learned, once again, from my life, that I need to focus on my ultimate goals and what I'm doing to accomplish them. The following quote has developed increasing importance to me:

"I am who I am because I did what I did to get here, whether I did it on purpose or not. I will be who I will be tomorrow because of what I do today to become him. If I am intentionally, consistently acting today to become who I want to be tomorrow, then am I not him today? Thus begs the question: Am I defined by my past, or my future?"
(My hopeful mission companion, Trevor Scoubes, and I)

Yes, our past is divinely designed to assist us, but not define us. As Elder Holland said, "The past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead and remember that faith is always pointing towards the future".

I can't believe it! I'm going on a mission!! I really only have 2 more days! Time goes so quickly. It is so precious; don't waste it, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment